Learning the English Language is the key to learning and experiencing success in education and everyday life.
Children learn to:
- listen, read, view, speak, write, create and reflect on increasingly complex and sophisticated spoken, written and multimodal (combined visual, digital and oral) texts
- appreciate, enjoy and use the English language
- understand how Standard Australian English works in its spoken and written forms
- develop interest and skills in inquiring into the wonder and beauty of texts
Students are assessed both formally and informally throughout the year.
Sacred Heart School uses:
- Benchmark Assessment System (BAS) developed by Fountas & Pinnell
- Progressive Achievement Tests (PAT) are a series of tests designed to provide objective, norm-referenced information to teachers about their students’ skills and understandings in a range of key areas.
- Essential Assessment - an online assessment program designed to assess against the Victorian Curriculum and to assist teachers to personalise and differentiate learning plans.
All teachers collaborate with the educators in the learning area in which they teach to develop learning progressions for all students.